Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

Altered Playing Card Challenge Week 18

Hello everyone and welcome back to The Altered Playing Card Challenge. We are on week 18 and going full force. There have been some new members join the Facebook group this passed week and I really hope they join in and have a good time


If you have missed any of the previous week's here are the links

and our Facebook page

and the Pinterest Board link

Pinterest Board

I have had a pretty rough week, sometimes real life just gets out of control and so this week I really wanted to focus on beauty and some of my favorite quotes. It just so happens that these two quotes are both by Ralph Waldo Emerson

For starters - I received this wonderful box of samples from DecoArt


They carry a wide array of products, paints, varnishes, mediums, sprays, enamels, glow in the dark paints... it's endless.
At any rate, I wanted to break out everything and try it all out right away but for now I settled on trying out some paints

I used three colors for my first card
All of the colors I'm using today come from their mixed media line


I cannot tell you how vivid and beautiful these colors are. I used a violet, purple and white for this. I simply added a few splotches of my three colors to my craft mat, like in the photo above
Next, I took my altered playing card and spritzed it with a bit of water (the water helps the paint to spread and run a bit more)

I just dabbed my card into the paint and moved it around a tad and picked it directly up. I did not slide it through as in last weeks cards. 
I ended up with some splotchy parts, which I kinda liked how it turned out - I set this one aside to dry

I did the same thing with card #2 but this time used some other colors


This time I spritzed my paint and card with water and as I ran my card through the paint I twisted a bit more - Here is how this card came out


Since I didn't use white, I got more coverage on this one, again, I set the card aside to dry

I decided to go with flowers on both these cards and I used some from Stampotique
Sunflower LargeCarols Flower Large and Carols Flower Small - all by Artist Janet Klein

I stamped all the flowers onto white card stock and heat embossed them all
I then colored my Large and Small flowers with copic markers


Next I simply cut them out


I adhered both to my background with glue and I offset my large flower and trimmed the edges


of course I have to doodle a bit so I used a black marker and drew some stems for my flowers


For my second card, I did the same with stamping and heat embossing the Sunflower but instead of coloring the flower, I thought it looked perfect with no color against that bold background


I added my sentiments to both cards. I just stamped both sentiments onto white card stock with black ink and then cut them out. I edged both with black as well, I think this helps them to stand out. I always add my sentiments last
Here are the finished two cards for this week



Both background were done the same but both are very different. 

I really needed some beauty in my life this week
Can't wait to see what you all come up with!!
CHEERS!
p.s. - Is there something you would like to see in our challenges? A theme that you want to do? Make sure to let me know in the comments if you have some ideas.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely! That new paint looks awesome! It will be tomorrow before I can attempt to recreate this look but that gives me plenty of time to think about color choices, floral designs, and sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work. Fab colors, ovely flowers, and lively quotes !
    As always I love your work. Seems as if you can have much fun with that big packet of Deco Art supplies...
    Thanks for sharing your ART. !!!
    Hugs from Monica..... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you part of the DecoArt Giving Artist Programme Claudine, i hope so it means we shall get some wonderful tutorials from you. I have joined the Blogger Outreach Programme as i am in love with all the DecoArt products.

    Really enjoyed this weeks challenge, thanks for taking the time to pop over and leave a comment!

    Here is the link to this weeks APC's :-) xxx

    http://massofhair.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/sdc-178bright-colours.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those fluid acrylics look LUSH. I am in awe. Your playing cards were incredible this week. I can't even begin to do yours justice.

    Here's mine this week:

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2015/01/altered-playing-cards-week-18-sayings.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flowers are always a favorite subject of mine! Your cards are really beautiful this week. I think my background paint got a little heavy on these, but here are my cards:

    http://craftymoosecrafts.blogspot.com/2015/01/apc-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great. Especially like the uncoloured sunflower. I am a great lover of no colour, being such a rubbish colourist LOL. Feeling particularly uninspired this evening so maybe I should just splodge some paint around and see what happens. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun technique this week! I hope your week has been better. The flowers are so wonderful.
    Looking forward to week 19, yikes so fast already!
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that took me a long time to splodge some paint around LOL. Here they are. Loved how these backgrounds turned out. What fun. Hugz

    http://craftynomad.blogspot.no/2015/03/black-white-and-punny.html

    ReplyDelete